Monday, July 11, 2016

Thanks, Wickford!

"Milky Day," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©2016 Jill Banks. Private collection.
This past weekend was my third time exhibiting at the Wickford Fine Art Festival in Rhode Island. Since the festival is on its 54th year, you could call me a latecomer. This year, too, I was in a new location on Brown Street, right in the heart of town ... making my art work brand new to even regular visitors there.

Wickford is one heck of a beautiful place. With lighter crowds on Sunday, I had time to walk around the town viewing other artists work and peeking through gardens toward the water and historic charming architecture. Just standing at my booth, a pair of swans regularly came and went.

The Friday before the show, I painted "Milky Day" in the morning from the balcony where we stayed. Then, I headed out to town to paint an ancient boat from the bridge in Wickford. Sometime this coming week, that painting will appear here on the blog. (Stay tuned.)

Rain threatened but stayed away during show hours. Phew. Although even rainy days bring out the avid art collectors.

"Market Day," (Alba, Italy), 36"h x 48"w, ©2014 Jill Banks. Stayed with a happy new home in Wickford, RI.

"Flower Shopping," (Paris, France), 6"h x 6"w, ©2015 Jill Banks. Private collection.
In addition to "Milky Day" -- two other paintings went to new homes over the weekend. Representing the full spectrum of what was offered at my booth, "Market Day" and "Flower Shopping" were happily purchased. "Market Day," my painting from Alba, Italy based on the oil done there during my workshop in the Piemonte wine region was purchased by a woman who'd visited that market as well as many parts of Italy when her husband and she lived there for many years. It will get pride of place ... welcome people into her home after a remodel is completed in a couple of months. She's been on the hunt for that piece for years. Pretty neat we all -- painting, collector and I -- all came together in her favorite place to shop for art (the Wickford Fine Art Festival).

I'm going to miss "Market Day" ... a LOT ... but knowing that it landed in just the right home where it will be cherished, enjoyed daily makes a huge difference.

"Flower Shopping" was purchased by someone who returned after viewing my booth on Saturday. It's one of my 6" by 6"s that still manages to deliver a story in a petite package.

That's it for my Wickford report other than to say a huge thank you to the Wickford Art Festival organizers and volunteers, all the art shoppers and enthusiasts who visited this weekend, new collectors and my hosts -- Sarah and Donna -- for your very warm welcome.  Thanks!!!!!

Next Up:  July 23-24: Loveladies Fine Art Festival, Loveladies, NJ (on Long Beach Island). That's a new festival for me and due to some very unfriendly state business taxation laws (minimum $375 per year to register your business plus filings etc. to have the opportunity to sell there even if sales are $0) ... I REALLY hope to find some serious art collectors to love my work there. And, I hope the State of New Jersey addresses the issue to welcome businesspeople including artists to test the market in a financially affordable way.

To you ...

Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web: www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com


EVENTS
May through December:  First Friday Art Walk, 6-9pm, Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. The Atelier is also open on Wednesdays, noon to 4pm and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm (or whenever an artist is in there working.)
June 21-August 15: "Fresh Fare: the Still Life Show" Solo Exhibit, Triny's, Great Falls, VA.  14 of my original still life oil paintings on exhibit at Triny's Tex-Mex Grill in Great Falls.
July 18-29: Salmagundi Club's Non-Member Painting and Sculpture Exhibition, 47 Fifth Ave, NYC. "Heart of Telluride" accepted into exhibit on view in the Upper Gallery.
July 23-24: Loveladies Fine Art Festival, Loveladies, NJ (on Long Beach Island)
August 27-28: Shadyside: the Art Festival on Walnut Street, Pittsburgh, PA
September 17-18: King Street Art Festival, Alexandria, VA
September 24-25: Armonk 55th Annual Outdoor Art Show, Armonk, NY




No comments: