Saturday, July 30, 2016

Almost a Week on Long Beach Island, New Jersey

"Dock Bound and Upside Down," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©2016 Jill Banks stayed with my gracious hostess during the painting portion of my stay at Long Beach Island

I've been absent from posting for the last week and a half ... thanks to travel to Long Beach Island, New Jersey for the Loveladies Fine Art Festival there last weekend followed by three days of intensive painting for the Long Beach Island Foundation's Plein Air Plus juried competition ... before returning home. The Loveladies Fine Art Festival was hot, as in soaring temperatures, sweating artists, slim crowds braving the elements to look at the art. It was brutal. Those next three days of painting also almost wiped me out. I guess that's why most people enjoy those days actually at the beach ... in the water dressed in beach attire vs. standing at an easel all day.

Still, a couple went home with "Sitting with Statues" from the show ... a definite favorite of mine,
 "Sitting with Statues," oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©2014 Jill Banks found a new home this week.
now residing in their Italian room in Pennsylvania. Of the limited number of art shoppers braving the heat, many were looking for either or both their non-beach residences and island homes. Feedback was terrific and hopefully I've gained some new fans.

My three days of paintings produced five pieces including "Dock Bound and Upside Down." I will be going back -- sometime this month -- for another three days to paint to capture scenes there wasn't time for this trip. In September, I'll choose my four favorites for the "Island Life" exhibition being held there at the Long Beach Island Foundation. Until then, these works will be kept under wraps, unblogged about ... although I think you'll really like them.

Neat Visit Today
A couple came over to our temporarily neat and orderly house, hung carefully with art to get ideas for what they might like to see in a large commissioned painting for their home. The wife has been receiving my emails for a decade, loves my paintings and wants one of them to occupy a vast wall in their home. While she'd have been glad to see my work at the Atelier, I wanted her to have more to look at ... in a home environment, all different sized works to see what she was most drawn to.

Okay, I'm not doing that great with my photos ... but this is what part of the house looked like today pre-visit.
So this was sort of like my annual home show -- but without the list and holiday decorations -- just focused on the art. They went home with one painting for the week -- because they loved it -- to see how it feels. Later, I'll go to their home to join them in figuring out where to go from here.

For any of you regular readers, art shoppers who might like to see my house full of art, less one from today -- drop me an email at jill@jillbanks.com. Don't delay as we'll be back to upside down like my hostess's boat -- in no time.

Accepted into the Oil Painters of America Salon Show 2016
Okay. This IS a big deal. Oil Painters of America holds a National Exhibition, two regional exhibitions (I missed the deadline for the Eastern regional this year) and a Salon Show.  Getting accepted seemed like an impenetrable barrier ... the highest wall.  I kept getting no-tices as in no, no, no. Anyway, from September 30 to October 29,  my piece "Janssen's Market" will join other beautiful works that managed to make it into the yes column at the Castle Gallery Fine Art in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Pretty darn exciting. Since the piece must be available for purchase at the exhibition and the dates seem lightyears away, I won't tempt you with an image of "Janssen's Market." That will remain on the horizon.

Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web: www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com




EVENTS
May through December:  First Friday Art Walk, 6-9pm, Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. The Atelier is also open on Wednesdays, noon to 4pm and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm (or whenever an artist is in there working.)
June 21-August 15: "Fresh Fare: the Still Life Show" Solo Exhibit, Triny's, Great Falls, VA.  14 of my original still life oil paintings on exhibit at Triny's Tex-Mex Grill in Great Falls.
August 27-28: Shadyside: the Art Festival on Walnut Street, Pittsburgh, PA
September 17-18: King Street Art Festival, Alexandria, VA
September 24-25: Armonk 55th Annual Outdoor Art Show, Armonk, NY


No comments: