Friday, April 3, 2015

Royal Spain

"Among Royalty," oil, 10'h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2015 (Madrid, Spain)
I took a necessary day off from posting yesterday. It took me two hours to send one email. There was no way to blog and maintain sanity.

We spent the day traveling to the walled city of Toledo and back. Attempts at drawing there won't see the light of day (except on a young girl's iPhone ... uh, oh). At least I won't show them off.  Given the change in medium, and that drawings take time ... lots of it ... if a few will survive this trip, that's a lot.

The return from Toledo left enough time to finish my painting in the Royal Gardens that face the Palacio de Real.  Given its diminutive size, you wouldn't think it would require two sessions. I swear looking at those Mariano Fortuny teeny-tiny paintings filled with excruciatingly beautiful detail (those two adjectives are not usually employed by me to describe "detail") ... have messed
Racks of Sorolla's in the Museum's Print and Drawing Room. Heaven!
with my head.  So many areas around Madrid that were once the sole playground of royalty are now exuberantly enjoyed by the people of Madrid.  These gardens are a perfect example.

This morning we visited the Palacio de Real. The palace itself isn't my cup of tea ... but there was a fantastic exhibit of Royal Portraits on view.  In many cases, royal portraits are more about the clothing and acroutrements than the person stuck among them.  Sometimes, the person shines through at the hand of an artist open to seeing and not in a hurry to get on to the next commission.

I will, if possible, look online (days) later and lead you to a few of my favorites. Every single time I click on a link from my hotel room it takes me to the same ad for Internet service.
Kate at the Sorolla Museum, entering his studio
Honestly, the company that sticks that ad out there HAS to know this isn't a positive experience. Yikes!!!

In the meantime, I'll show you a few photos I took. No research necessary. They make me forget any complaints.

I meant to post them after my second day at the Sorolla Museum. Joaquin Sorolla is my favorite painter (although there are MANY contenders) ... and he opened his heart and home to the world. The Sorolla Museum includes his home, vast array of paintings and his studio. When we visited on Wednesday, there was a tour group of young kids, led by their teacher -- speaking in English. I KNOW that Sorolla would have loved their presence there -- full of wonder, enthusiasm, strong doses of energy.  It was a joy to behold!

News Since My Last Posting (Other Than This)

Just Accepted: I'll be showing for the second time at Shadyside: The Art Festival on Walnut Street (Pittsburgh, PA) on August 29-30. Yea!

"Crossword and Quince," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 ... Purchased Today
Just Purchased: "Crossword and Quince" is going home with relatives of collectors who purchased my work from the Armonk Art Festival in New York. Friends of friends, relatives ... ALL are invited to join in helping me continue doing what I love ... painting, creating art for you to enjoy in your homes. I truly appreciate your spreading the word!!!!


Sign Up for Classes -- In Virgina
Registration is going on now for Spring classes -- Tuesday nights, 6:30pm to 9:30pm for Evening Paint and Thursdays, 10am to 2pm for Painting the Plein Air Landscape.  Take a look at my Classes page and I hope you'll join us.

Call for Artists
Plus, if you enjoy plein air painting, consider registering for Paint Great Falls! (Great Falls VA) to capture the town from May 28 to 30 with a Quick Draw event on May 31, 10am to noon.  Registration is now open at www.greatfallsart.org/plein-air.

Thanks for reading!


Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel


See the Events page for more info/updates
April 10 to May 1: Women Painters of the Southeast Juried Exhibition, Blue Ridge, GA
May 2 & 3: A-RTS @ Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD
May 12-16:  Wayne Plein Air, Wayne and Philadelphia, PA. Juried as one of 30 artists nationwide to paint the area.
May 30-31: Art on the Green and Paint Great Falls, Outdoor Art Show (under a tent) and plein air competition and exhibit, Great Falls, VA
June 5-7: Rittenhouse Square: The Original Art Show, Philadelphia, PA. 
June 18-21: VA Beach Boardwalk Art Show, Virginia Beach, VA. Visit my booth right on the boardwalk.
June 29-July 5: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO.  Juried as one of 32 artists who will spend the week painting this very cool town lined with Victorian houses, bustling street against a gorgeous mountainous backdrop.
July 11-12: Wickford Art Festival, Wickford, RI.
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show & Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: