Sunday, April 19, 2015

17 Mile Drive and Painting at Pebble Beach

"Pebble Beach Promontory," oil, 5.75"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2015
We took a friend's suggestion and headed down 17 Mile Drive between Pacific Grove and Carmel, California. I thought my painting subjects might be some sea lions on a rock ... but they are sequestered on a beach until June. Actually, I'd been eyeing this one strip of land that reaches out to the sea and finally found my view, following a sign for coastal beach access adjacent or right in the middle of the Pebble Beach Golf Club.  Shared my view with dog walkers, fishermen, and some golfers.

The Start: Transparent Red Oxide and Ultramarine Blue drawing on Yellow Ochre ground
Take a look back at a week and a half of paintings at jillbanks.blogspot.com.

Stage 2: Color shapes
It was the perfect afternoon. I've loved every minute of these past 11 days.

Believe it or not, there have been many more paintings than shown on my blog. Some will be making appearances here soon, others later.

My Plein Air Landscape class starts this coming Thursday, April 23 in Northern Virginia. Are you registered yet? (I think there are two spots left. The Evening Paint class on Tuesdays is full.)

Stage 3: More color and smaller shapes.
Would You Want to Come to Monterey?
I am thinking about teaching a workshop here in Monterey.  Are any of you interested?

Showing Soon
Paintings created on these trips will be showcased soon on my next email newsletter that I hope to get out in the next couple of days ... and at A-RTS@Rockville Town Center, a fine art juried outdoor festival held May 2 & 3, where you'll find me at tent #209. And, I hope you can join us at the Artists' Atelier Grand Opening on Friday, May 8, 7 to 9:00pm in our new space at 759 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA.  I'll be moving in there as soon as I return to Virginia. Come see! Maybe you could snatch up a piece of Spain or Monterey...

Sign Up for Classes -- In Virgina
Registration is going on now for Spring classes -- Tuesday nights, 6:30pm to 9:30pm for Evening Paint (starting April 28) and Thursdays, 10am to 2pm for Painting the Plein Air Landscape starting April 23 (Hurry!). Take a look at my Classes page and I hope you'll join us. Spots are still open in both... but only a couple of them.

Call for Artists
Plus, if you enjoy plein air painting, consider registering for Paint Great Falls! (Great Falls VA) to capture the town from May 28 to 30 with a Quick Draw event on May 31, 10am to noon.  Registration is now open at www.greatfallsart.org/plein-air.

Thanks for reading!



Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel


See the Events page for more info/updates
April 10 to May 1: Women Painters of the Southeast Juried Exhibition, Blue Ridge, GA
May 2 & 3: A-RTS @ Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD
May 12-16:  Wayne Plein Air, Wayne and Philadelphia, PA. Juried as one of 30 artists nationwide to paint the area.
May 30-31: Art on the Green and Paint Great Falls, Outdoor Art Show (under a tent) and plein air competition and exhibit, Great Falls, VA
June 5-7: Rittenhouse Square: The Original Art Show, Philadelphia, PA. 
June 18-21: VA Beach Boardwalk Art Show, Virginia Beach, VA. Visit my booth right on the boardwalk.
June 29-July 5: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO.  Juried as one of 32 artists who will spend the week painting this very cool town lined with Victorian houses, bustling street against a gorgeous mountainous backdrop.
July 11-12: Wickford Art Festival, Wickford, RI.
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show & Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: