Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Green Tractor" Revisited

"Green Tractor," oil on Centurion linen-lined panel, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
Today I returned to a painting created en plein air in Easton.  Even though it was one of my most successful pieces painted outdoors to date, there were still a few things I wanted to do to "improve" it.  Knowing full well that it's almost impossible to make a piece better without losing the freshness captured on site -- I braved the attempt -- figuring if it didn't work out, I'd erase the day's efforts with Gamsol. (The tractor anatomy needed tweaking.)

Odds were defied. It turned out just as I hoped. No Gamsol needed.

"Green Tractor" has been tugging on my attention for a couple of months.  With so many different shows all in a row to prepare for -- it had to wait. 

Coming up a week from Friday, I'll be teaching a three-day portrait painting workshop through the Great Falls School of Art.  There's still a spot left for the November 1-3 workshop, held 9:30am to 4:30pm each day. See more info on the classes page of my website ... with a link to register online. Tell me if you do.  Thanks!

Tomorrow night is the Awards dinner and reception at the National Arts Club in New York City for the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's 117th Open Exhibition. "Seat by the Window: Montmartre" was awarded the Winnie Borne Sherman Memorial Award ... so I'll be there to happily accept it. 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!


5th Annual Portrait Expressions Regional Juried Exhibition
ArtSpace Herndon
750 Center Street
Herndon, VA "Contrapposto" was chosen as a finalist. On exhibit through November 2
 
Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's Awards Reception Dinner
National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park, NYC. 117th Annual Open Exhibition of CLWAC.   Exhibit October 1-25.  Advance reservations required for the awards dinner.

See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm and whenever an artist is in. Exhibit from Studio Tour up in the gallery through October 31.

No comments: