Saturday, February 2, 2013

So I Set Up a Still Life

New Still Life with Frog and Parakeet in Progress, oil, 36"h x 30"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
Even though this is the first day of painting this still life, it's the second day being consumed with it. Yesterday, I spent about an hour in each ... the Home Depot (shopping for orchids, calla lilies, African violets -- most of which you can't see yet) and the grocery store (figuring out what fruits and veggies to buy -- while still being tempted by more flowers).  The rest of the day was spent arranging, a task I repeated at the Artists' Atelier again this afternoon.

I don't know if you can tell, but it's going to be a lot of fun.  Many additional details of the setup are worked out while the painting is in progress.

There were some funny comments by my studiomates about the plethora of stuff.  Michela Mansuino said, "My, somebody is ambitious."

Right before I was ready to put paintbrush to canvas, I sort of realized how daunting the task ahead could be. But what the heck. Away I went.

It looks pretty crazy at the moment. It will get better.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits

February 1 - February 28: "Flowers and Chocolate" Exhibit at the Artists'Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm.  Receptions: Saturday and Sunday, February 9 & 10, noon - 4pm.

No comments: