Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Little Hoarse: Talk and Demo Last Night

Portrait sketch of husband Randy in progress with some of my 100 faces behind the easel. Photo by Terri Parent
Between last night's demo and talk on the "100 Faces in 100 Days" project for the League of Reston Artists and teaching still life class today, I'm literally all talked out.

The intro.  Photo by Terri Parent
I was trying to figure out logistically how to demo a quick alla prima portrait and speak intelligently about my project at the same time.  As a teacher, I'm used to talking during the demo covering what paints are being used, the method, words about the painting in progress.  That's different than painting and taking on another topic. It's like having your brain wires crossed. I was also concerned with how well this could be pulled off with my back to the group attending.

Good news is that somehow it worked out just fine. There were many familiar and welcoming faces at the meeting. I just knew it would be fun to share this terrific, challenging experience with them.

Thank you to the folks at the League of Reston Artists for inviting me.

Tomorrow's our first day working in clay for my portrait class. Something new! Tomorrow night I will be giving a shorter talk on the project for the Prince William Art Society. Let's hope I'm not squeaking or growling then.

To read up on my "100 Faces in 100 Days" project, go to my web site: www.jillbanks.com and click on the 100 Faces in 100 Days collection under Works.  Excerpts from each blog post for those sittings can be found by clicking on the painting of that person.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits

February 1 - February 28: "Flowers and Chocolate" Exhibit at the Artists'Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 



No comments: