Sunday, October 12, 2008

Painting Bob


Here's a glimpse into today's afternoon painting session at my client's condo in Reston. After the portrait's done, you get to see what's on the other side of the canvas. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the most exciting photo on this blog, but I did want you to see evidence that a paintbrush is in my hand -- as it is almost every day.

This painting is a very special project that Bob and I have planned and progressed with together -- a portrait of him and his late wife, Bridget. Bob keeps the conversation interesting -- and I learn something new, totally unrelated to painting -- each session. It's been a journey for us both.

Bob gets a couple of phone calls during the session. I particularly get a kick out of his comment "I'm being painted" -- evidently in answer to what he's doing. I wonder what the person on the other end of the phone is picturing.

Today, his daughter Anne, and granddaughter, Katie Pi stopped in to check on progress. Anne was kind enough to take this photo.

By the way, Bob's condo building is quite elegant. I get to visit in painting attire, with a large canvas; a Trader Joe's canvas bag stuffed with, well stuff; a palette; and a tool box filled with my paints. It would be difficult to blend in.

My blog entries should be shorter this week. Monday is an Atelier model painting session. Tuesday's the day I teach two classes. Wednesday I head back up to New York for the Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club Exhibit Award Dinner. Thursday I head home and pick up frames from Frame Masters so I can hang new paintings in the Atelier for the Tour. Friday's the Kickoff Studio Tour party at the Atelier. Saturday and Sunday is the Studio Tour. Busy week.

No comments: