Sunday, July 27, 2008

Scenes of Great Falls, VA and Jurying a Show

"Sidewalk Sale in the Village Centre" is the painting I entered for the "Quintessentially Great Falls" show jurying that took place at my house yesterday. I was one of three jurors for the Great Falls Studios (www.greatfallsstudios.com) show that will take place August 1-30 at the Old Brogue Irish Pub in Great Falls, VA. But "Sidewalk Sale" won't be in the show! Of the 78 artists that make up Great Falls Studios, an alliance of artists in various media who live or work in Great Falls, VA, 22 artists submitted to this show that is capturing our town in art -- and as jurors, we had to whittle the show down to 10 to 15 pieces that told the story of Great Falls and held together as an exhibit. Walt Lawrence, Adrienne Kralick and I decided to pull our pieces from the pool of entries to ease the process. At the end, and against his will, we brought Walt's image of "L'Auberge Chez Francois" back into the show because this restaurant is a real fixture of Great Falls. Adrienne and I both painted scenes from the Village Centre which is already being well represented with Frances Vecchi's "Gazebo, Great Falls". Still, it was a case of juror/artist martyrdom and warrants the warning that you shouldn't try to jury a show or venue in which you'd like to exhibit. The show will be great, though, and I hope you visit it!

I encourage you, too, to consider purchasing "Sidewalk Sale." The painting is charming, if I do say so myself. It's the latest in my plein air painting series -- still a challenge for me to handle the sun, bugs, heat, etc. -- but I can see that I'm progressing. "Sidewalk Sale in the Village Centre," 10"h x 8"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2008. Contact me to purchase or see the painting in person.

No comments: