Thursday, August 16, 2018

Plein Air Painting in Place Des Vosges - Paris - Pretty Cool!

Park Place, oil, 18"h x 24"w, ©2018 Jill Banks -- created plein air at Place des Vosges with me trying to be inconspicuous. Hard to accomplish when you have an easel in front of you.

I painted in Place Des Vosges the last time in Paris in March 2013. That previous trip, I couldn't feel my fingers ... it was that cold. This time around, it was a bit too toasty and bright, so I found a spot on a bench with a canopy of leaves overhead where it might be possible to not draw excessive attention to my easel.  At least I received less.

Natalie Chan's Drawing from Place Des Vosges.  Thanks, Natalie! I love it!
A surprise well into my painting was having a young woman, Natalie Chan, offer a gift of her wonderful drawing of Randy and me on that bench in the park. Apparently I was getting more attention than realized.

While I was trying to paint a little bit out of the way to help my progress, one of the real joys of creating en plein air is the interaction of those you meet on those outings ... like Natalie and all the other artists of all ages and enthusiasts.  All encounters have been great ones ... minus one this trip ... but I'll save that story for another post.

We made one big boo-boo this trip and that is not bringing any easy way to transport or pack wet 18" x 24" canvases (the size of Park Place). That means you could have seen me precariously holding this canvas weaving through the full sidewalks of Central Paris.  That's one way to disperse a crowd.  That will be remedied before the next major outing!  We've ventured far, on foot, and it can be a complicated trip back to our home away from home here in Paris.

It's possible I'll add pigeons to this or other paintings.  They are everywhere and Place Des Vosges was no exception.  (Natalie definitely noticed them.) My reluctance may have come from pigeon droppings really getting husband Randy on my first morning out painting.  I don't want the birds to think they belong ON my art.

Greetings from Paris! Here I am painting in my new (still fresh but not for long) smock from Charvin - Paris. Plus I'm trying out a new squeegee tool with a clipped corner. Haven't figured it out yet (how/when to use), but I'm working on it.
This blog posts are going to be all out of chronological order.  Doubt it matters.  This place is too much fun and with walking, discovering, eating, painting, returning home, and then getting ready to post ... well, I might just be having some troubles fitting it all in.

See more of my paintings from here and elsewhere in the Places collection on my website: www.JillBanks.com

#pleinairpainting #paintinginParis #jillbanksart


Thanks for visiting! 
Jill
P.S. My Fall classes are up on my website and open for registration - See Classes

I'm also the judge for the ArtSpace Herndon Portrait Expressions Competition and Exhibition -- Learn more and register here by September 1 by 5pm.
Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email: jill@jillbanks.com


Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Jill-Banks-Studio-278493468836508/ (Please like that page if you like it...)


 
Read the Article: Southwest Art Artist to Watch,  July 2017 Here's a link to the PDF of the wonderful Artist to Watch article written by Kim Agricola. 


ART EVENTS
First Friday Art Walk in the Village Centre 6-8pm, (from April to December 2018) Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22033. (Studio is also open Wednesdays, noon to 4pm and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm)
  
June 22-September 1: Oil Painters of America Salon Show, Traverse City MI
August 25-26: Shadyside: The Art Festival on Walnut Street, Pittsburgh PA
September 15 & 16: Alexandria King Street Art Festival, Alexandria VA
September 20 to November 4: WAOW National Exhibition, Bartlesville OK (two pieces juried into this show)
September 29 & 30: Armonk Outdoor Art Show, Armonk NY
October 7: MPA McLean ArtFest, McLean VA



No comments: