Thursday, November 2, 2017

The Unexpected Water Trouble in Sedona ... Tales of the Plein Air Painter

"Tlaquepaque Fountain," oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©2017 Jill Banks

www.JillBanks.com

One of my favorite paintings from my Sedona Plein Air Festival adventure was this fountain piece, captured on location at Tlaquepaque in Sedona.  The 28 invited artists were "forewarned" to be sure we made ourselves (with easels) unobstructive and out of the way of patrons/visitors, etc.  I like to be a welcome guest -- always -- and set up in this spot with one easel leg in a planting bed while keeping myself as close to the edging around it as possible.

Of course, Sedona plants need water and shortly after setting up, the gardener placed a hose in the bed. A bit later, the hose drifted out of the bed and I retrieved it ... and put it back. Then a car ran over it and it twirled in the air, soaking my jeans and shoes but again I put it back. Then, it does it again ... just with more fanfare getting the easel, the painting, my rolling studio suitcase and me a nice rain shower.

The gardener said the hose had to stay in there until the bed was full ... which meant it had to overflow.  So it did. Good news is that the trouble-making hose could move to a new location and leave me to complete the painting on drying ground.

First Friday Art Walk in the Village, November 3, 6-8pm

I'll be there -- at the Atelier at 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA.  Come say hi!  There's a great new exhibit at the School/Gallery -- the Faculty Show. Really inspiring. Enjoy the art, snacks and a night on the town. In the show is art by Arts of Great Falls teachers Jennifer Duncan, Lorrie Herman, Elizabeth Floyd, Donna Robinson, Joyce Lee, Lori Goll, JJ Singh, Jill Banks (me) and Michela Mansuino.

For more info on First Fridays:

First Fridays Art Walk in the Village (Village Centre in Great Falls, VA - corner of Walker Road and Georgetown Pike) -- May to December 2017
6-8pm
Three joint studios, 27 artists, gallery, refreshments
Winter classes are up on my website, too. Please check them out and consider joining me this January.

Thanks for reading! 

Jill


Women Artists of the West (WAOW) National Exhibition,  McBride Gallery - Annapolis MD, November 5-December 31
Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Jill-Banks-Studio-278493468836508/ (Please like that page if you like it...)
Read the Article: Southwest Art Artist to Watch,  July 2017
Here's a link to the PDF of the wonderful Artist to Watch article written by Kim Agricola. 

No comments: