Friday, April 1, 2016

"Old Sycamore" Day Three, Emma Age 4 Days

"Old Sycamore" work in progress day three, oil, 30"h x 30"w, ©2016 Jill Banks

I was back out in the parking lot of our country club today, capturing more of this stately sycamore tree -- hopefully before the leaves begin to pop. They are certainly thinking about it. One of my visitors estimated the age of the tree at 200 years old. Its limbs stretch out into the sky every which way.  It is incredibly breath-taking. By the time I was out working on it, the sky had turned cloudy, eliminating ground shadows. I decided to play along ... changing my painting as with less to draw your attention to the ground (shadows are complicated under this pillar), you really get a sense of the majesty above.

More work to do ... probably tomorrow.

I did work from the two photos taken on day one in my studio yesterday. It was amazing how unlike my subject the colors and dimensionality appeared on my painting at stage 2 using photography as a model. Good thing I could return to the source.

"Old Sycamore" is bound to be finished and hung in my booth at the Arlington Fine Art Festival and Fairfax Corner Fine Art Festival in Virginia. See Event listing and links below.

Baby Emma -- at Four Days Old
Granddaughter Emma Caroline Banks at four days old. What do you think?

We are meeting her shortly...Yippee Yay! We sent son Sam a photo of a present for Emma that arrived today ... and back popped up this photo of her saying she can't wait to try her new outfits on.

Classes Start Next Week -
REGISTER NOW FOR SPRING CLASSES
There's still room for you ... but sign up now.


Here they are...
Sign up Now for Spring 2016 Classes Taught through the Great Falls School of Art in Great Falls, VA
Painting the Plein Air Landscape: Thursdays, 9:30am to 1:30pm starting April 21.
Still Life Plus: Tuesdays, 10:30am to 1:30pm starting April 5. ( first class only: demo starting at 9am)
Evening Paint: Tuesdays, 6:30 to 9:30pm starting April 5.  
Get more info on my Classes page.

Plus, I'm hoping you'll Paint with Me in Italy this Summer -- June 26 to July 3.
June 26-July 3: Paint with Me in Italy this Summer! : Plein air workshop in the Piemonte wine region. Find out more about this wonderful trip. I hope you can join me!  

See the Events page for more info/updates

EVENTS
April 16-17: Arlington Fine Art Festival, Arlington, VA

April 23-24: Fairfax Corner Fine Art Festival, Fairfax, VA

May 7-8: A-RTS@Rockville Town Square, Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, Rockville, MD

May 13-15: Art on the Square - Belleville, IL, Outdoor Juried Fine Art Festival (Ranked #1 by Art Fair Sourcebook), Belleville, IL

June 26-July 3: Paint with Me in Italy this Summer! : Plein air workshop in the Piemonte wine region. Find out more about this wonderful trip. I hope you can join me!

Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com

Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com


No comments: