Monday, November 11, 2013

"Jardin de Montmartre" Finished

"Jardin de Montmartre," oil, 24"h x 36"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
I've had the sneaking suspicion that my pile of unfinished canvases has grown larger than ever. To check out the premise, I lined the walls of our downstairs foyer with pieces to complete.  I wasn't even doing any heavy digging -- just collecting those pieces relatively recently begun that held promise.  Guess how many lined the walls?

20.

Yikes.

"Jardin de Montmartre" wasn't in the hallway -- but it was the first piece to be finished (two days ago).  Many more await. Another was finished today.

Young Fan
Last week, I was in the classroom getting ready to teach my Portrait Painting Workshop. A young student walked in -- there for her class (taught by another instructor) that had been canceled that day.  While sorting out whether or not class really was canceled -- and contacting her parents for pick-up, we shared a fun conversation. She offered to help me set up.

We went upstairs to the Atelier to get a vase for the roses I brought in ... and while there, she picked up some brochures from the gallery. One of them was mine.

She asked my name. She LOVES my work!!! She's a huge fan. That was about as nice a surprise as possible. 

Sign Up Now
I'm offering two classes and a workshop come January. The holidays turn us into messes.  Before they take over all your energies, take a look at my classes page. Follow the links to sign up.

Choose from "Portrait Painting" taught on Sundays, 1:30 to 5:30pm (I'm looking for models, too), "Still Life Painting in Oils" taught on Tuesdays, 10am to 1pm and a special workshop "Mastering the Business of Art" on January 4 & 5 (Saturday and Sunday), 2 to 5pm both days.

Young Super Star
There's nothing like getting an email notification from Ben Gaiarin -- cool young guy (16) whose a culinary superstar -- to remind me that I got to my life's passion a bit later.  Ben (who sat for my 100 Faces in 100 Days project) just launched BenGusto Dining -- a catering company founded and run by the under 18 set. His blog is amazing. Incredible recipes, writing, photography. Food Network? Catch him NOW if you can.

Big congrats to Ben!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!


See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm and whenever an artist is in. Exhibit from Studio Tour up in the gallery through November 20.

 

Saturday and Sunday, December 14 & 15, 10am - 5pm both days. 35 artists exhibiting at a new location: Wolftrap's Education Hall, 1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182.  I'll be there! No refreshments this time ... but plenty of art and good cheer!  Please help spread the word!

No comments: