Friday, November 8, 2013

"Autumn at the Marina": Wet, Cold Paint

"Autumn at the Marina," oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
A search for water to paint brought me to the Washington Sailing Marina along the George Washington Parkway today ... to fight the breeze, cool weather, new location (for me).  I can't believe how calm this painting looks.

It belies the fact I was holding it in place on the easel. Juggling gloves. Watching the water ripple.

Sooner or later I did start enjoying the sounds of the marina. Gentle clacking? Can clacking be gentle.  Right after I picked my spot there was a sign that this was the right decision. My alternative view included a boat that went off for a ride ... as far as I could tell -- the only one to be taken out on this cool Thursday afternoon.

Tomorrow I plan to be at the Artists' Atelier for open hours (noon to 4pm at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA). Randy and I unwrapped and rehung my studio area. (Work was under wraps to avoid drywall dust.) Please stop in!

Then it's off to catch two opening receptions: one for the Classical Realism Exhibit at the Great Falls Library and the other for the Artists of Montorno at ArtSpace Herndon.  I'm looking forward to both!

See www.GreatFallsAtelier.com for updated info for the Atelier and Library exhibits. Just updated!

Oh ... and yesterday Randy and I delivered "Seat by the Window: Montmartre" to its new owner in the Richmond, VA area.  While this is the third painting of mine purchased by this collector, I hadn't met him. It was nice to get the chance and to get a glimpse of an amazing collection.  Always interesting!!!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!

See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm and whenever an artist is in. Exhibit from Studio Tour up in the gallery through November 20.
 
Saturday and Sunday, December 14 & 15, 10am - 5pm both days. 35 artists exhibiting at a new location: Wolftrap's Education Hall, 1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182.  I'll be there! No refreshments this time ... but plenty of art and good cheer!  Please help spread the word!



No comments: