Monday, May 6, 2013

Home Visit

Painting #1: "Toad and Tulips," 36"h x 30"w
One of the regular parts of my day is to read some sage art marketing and "life as an artist" advice on the daily (free) email column from Fine Art Views. There was an article in the last week that talked about the best acceptances being collectors purchasing our work and supporting our passion.  (As an artist, life is rife with a teeter-totter of acceptances and rejections.)

Today, Randy and I loaded the car with many paintings to take to a collector's home. I'd gotten a phone call from her last week that it was time to purchase another Jill Banks' original -- that I knew her walls/home -- and to bring what would be best.   I do know those walls. I know the other work she's collected and loved. I know what her husband loves.

Turns out that the choices of what to load into that car were spot on.  I took a bit of time to look around the main level, trying not to bring in the whole carload at once.  Pretty sure of the prime spots, Randy held up the
Painting #2: "London Times"
artwork one by one.  They looked amazing and five really terrific pieces will be hanging there -- in the spots we chose.

The five pieces that are being added to their collection are:
  • "Toad and Tulips"
  • "London Times"
  • "Reflections"
  • "Rope of Garlic"
  • "Tony"
Did I say they looked amazing?

It's a heck of a collection ... and looks a lot like my house used to look.
Painting #3: "Reflections"

What's really wonderful for them and us -- is how personal this connection is. While I'm not painting pieces for their home (and lives), I know what part of my body of work will appeal the most to them. We choose together those pieces spot within their home.  Work is spoken for (they don't lose out on something they love) and paid for in installments.  In the meantime, I enjoy that artwork while planning how to fill that next empty hook on the wall. And, they get a house full of artwork that inspires and greets them every day.

There have been an awful lot of incredible days for which to be thankful.  Time to be pinched or something.


Painting #4: "Rope of Garlic"
Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events

Women Painters of the Southeast Juried Members Exhibit and Sale
Imagine Gallery, 230 Franklin Road, Franklin, TN 37064
"Sunflowers in the Studio II" juried into the exhibit that runs April 19 to May 20.

Painting #5: "Tony"
"New Works" Exhibit: the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm through May 31. On view in the gallery: "Ballerinas I," "Ballerinas II" and "Red Pillow." 


No comments: