Monday, October 8, 2012

"White Glads" and a Drawing from Today's Class

"White Glads," oil, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
"White Glads" -- a painting started while I was in residence at the Torpedo Factory in August is officially finished. I'm very happy with it. Never thought I'd get there. It's got a bit of time to dry before hanging out with me under tent #3 at McLean Artfest this coming Sunday, October 14, 10 am- 5pm in McLean Central Park.

I love the colors in the gladioli ... and finally pleased with the way my painting, "Elizabeth" on the table on the left is depicted. Challenging!!!


Portrait Class Today
It was a small class -- and Jamie, the intern from Germany, was our model. She was wonderful. If I ever get a chance (doubtful), I'd show you the quick warm-up sketches created from some of her fun poses this morning.

Instead, you get to see a little more developed sketch from the long pose she'll repeat for two more classes.

"Jamie," charcoal.
Some of my class wanted to try their hands at drawing in charcoal -- as a change from capturing the portrait in oil. Each time I change media, it's amazing to me how big an adjustment it is. Working in vine charcoal, your hand is so close to the surface -- versus that foot or so away the paintbrush lends.

I hope to see you at Artfest this coming Sunday (October 14, 2012).

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Events and Exhibits


Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA 

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066 

October 2 through November 30, Greenberry's Coffee & Tea, 6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA. Solo show of seven oil paintings celebrating coffee, friends and family and food.

More October and November events are listed on my web site: www.JillBanks.com
There are a LOT!


No comments: