Thursday, April 12, 2012

"The Poker Club"

"The Poker Club," oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Today was a scheduled, have Greg Staley photograph our art day at the Artist's Atelier (the studio I share with 12 other artists). Because this was on the calendar, and the fact my show "Out & About" is just around the corner, I've been painting like mad. Yesterday was marathon, elbows in paint day. My goal was to finish "The Poker Club."

It was interesting and productive to put in one long session to finish. I moved from face to face, and grew to be happy with my poker players, one by one, although I'd spent days on each before. In a shorter session, there wouldn't have been the opportunity to work on multiple subjects. This was the right way to pull it all together.

I'd started this painting last Fall when seven members of my dad's poker club agreed to two special poker sessions to let me paint them. Four of these seven members had sat for my 100 Faces in 100 Days project last year and part of the conversations we had revolved around the poker club. What was intriguing to me is how important these Wednesday night gatherings were to them.  It seemed to me that I could witness the dynamics of male friendships just by showing up.

This is a guys only poker club, and that also made me want to come paint and listen. Wearing a smock and holding a paintbrush gained me admittance. What I hoped for was a glimpse into a world that wasn't my own. My dad messed with that a little on me when he insisted on a few rules for my painting nights. The worst was "no swearing" which probably made them considerably quieter and definitely mindful that I was in the room. (I'm pretty sure I could have handled it.)

Thanks to Dad, Russ, Walt, Pepper, Wade, Stan and Frank for letting me paint you!

"The Poker Club" will be included in my solo show "Out & About" in May at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. A reception is on Sunday, May 6, 2-5pm.

Exhibits and Events

April 14-May 4, Salon International 2012, Greenhouse Gallery, San Antonio, TX. Opening Reception: Saturday, April 14, 10am-8pm. “Contrapposto

See "Classical Painting Atelier" in the April Art League Exhibit
April 3-30, "Classical Painting Atelier" was accepted for the April All-Media Membership Exhibit at the Art League in Alexandria. "Torpedo Factory Dock" is in the Bin Gallery. Both can be seen this month at the Torpedo Factory, Art League Gallery, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA.

April 2 -30, "Sunflowers and Gladioli" and "Cup of Tea" are on exhibit as part of the Great Falls Studios group exhibit at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA throughout the month.
May 15-19, Wayne Plein Air Festival 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA. Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center. 

May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA. Reception: Sunday, May 6, 2-5pm.
 
Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Fantastic painting, and I know you are glad to be finished. You really painted it well. When school is over, maybe I can come take a class from you.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks Jerry. And you're right. It's a relief to finish although I'm always seeing something else I could do. This looks so much better in person than in a photo.

I'd love to have you take a class. Maybe someday I'll get the travel workshop urge and come your way.