Friday, September 2, 2011

Practicing

"Old Town Herndon," oil on Raymar panel, 8"h x 10"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Quick post because it's time to relax after a long day. I was out practicing and then painting for the Paint Herndon event. By 3:30pm tomorrow, I need to have my entries framed and ready to be judged at ArtSpace Herndon. Canvases, or panels in my case, were stamped from 5 to 8pm tonight and will be again tomorrow morning. This practice piece, done before stamping ... is not eligible for tomorrow's contest ... but I'm happy with it. I'm always suspicious or worried when husband Randy or son Sam have really good golf practice rounds. It seems like trouble.

My biggest challenge tomorrow will be concentrating on just one great subject to paint. There are all sorts of temptations set up all around town, and some of the toughest to paint are the most appealing. Hmmm. Wish me luck. Pieces from the paint out will be available for sale following judging. Go to ArtSpace Herndon's web site for more info.

More tomorrow...

Events
August 31 - September 21: "100 Faces in 100 Days" on exhibit at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Open hours: Wednesday, August 31, 12:30 to 6:00pm, Saturdays, Noon-4pm. Additional hours will be posted on my blog.

August 3-September 5: 'Scapes Exhibit at the Art League, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. My entry, "A New York State of Mind," won Honorable Mention.


Thursday, September 8, 7:30pm: Demo for the Vienna Arts Society, Vienna, VA. More details to come.

Saturday, September 3, 9am-3:30pm: Paint Herndon plein air event. I'll be out there in my purple smock returning to ArtSpace Herndon by 3:30pm with a wet painting in tow.

Registration Open Now for my Fall Portrait Drawing and Painting class and Still Life Painting Class. See the Classes page on my web site for more information.

Sunday, October 2, 10am-5pm: MPA McLean Artfest, juried outdoor arts festival, McLean Community Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 15&16, 10am-5pm: Great Falls Annual Studio Tour. Major weekend long event with 47 artists from Great Falls Studios participating in a self-guided tour. I'll be in the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls. Last year, the tour drew 7200+ visitors from throughout the DC area. Don't miss it!

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

Tomorrow I'm probably back outside, prepping for Saturday's Paint Herndon Plein Air event. I need the practice. Keep your fingers crossed for me.


No comments: