Saturday, March 3, 2018

Inspired by Telluride

"Mountain Station," oil on linen-lined panel, 24"h x 18"w,  ©2017-2018 Jill Banks

Started on location last summer, I finished "Mountain Station" in my studio.  If we weren't leaving Telluride the following day, I would have returned to the same spot and completed it there.  Often, those second chances to take in the changing mood and colors of the place are such a treat. Most of the "work" is done ... leaving time to enjoy and anticipate. But those second days are real rarities. Instead, I took my thoughts and senses there ... many states and half a year away.

While "Mountain Station" has been hanging out in my studio waiting for attention for some time, it moved to the easel prompted by the episodes of Bravo's Top Chef (a favorite show) taking place in Telluride.  The chefs were shopping where we shopped. Padma was standing in front of one of the planters on Colorado Avenue where I'd stood and painted "Center of Attention." All those visual prompts did it.  How many hints did I need to return -- at least mentally -- to this magical place?

The station depicted is where you "hitch" a ride to Mountain Village and back.  The bikes at the light pole are just some of the hundreds of them dotting the town. During my first visit to Telluride, any young folks I met thought each painting was fine ... but asked when I was going to paint the gondola.  Indeed I did get around to it. ("Riding High" was the result.)

Spring Classes Start April 10 & 12
Get more info about my classes offered through the Arts of Great Falls through the links below. 
Still Life Plus (Tuesdays)
Evening Paint (Tuesdays)
Plein Air Landscape (Thursdays) -- taught on location around the Great Falls and DC area.

Registration is open for these classes but you'll need to use the links provided on my classes page to get to them ... for now.  This past term, classes were full. Be sure to secure your spot by registering now.  I really hope you join us!

Did you see my last blog post? Check out "City Sparkle" and "Out and About" in this City Sidewalks Post
"City Sparkle," oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©2018 Jill Banks


Events
  • February 2-June 3: Women Artists of the West Spring Showcase at RS Hanna Gallery  in Fredericksburg, TX (I'm one of 50 artists included in the showcase with five pieces at one time ("Old Market," "Day at the Ranch," "Cactus Corner," "Fiddlin' Around" and "Chicken Chat" are all heading to Texas) over this four month period.  First Friday Art Walk openings at RS Hanna from 6-8pm on February 2, March 2, April 6, May 4 and June 1.  Plus see the work any time until June 3.
  • April 6: First Friday Art Walk in the Village Centre, 6-8pm, Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22033. (Studio is also open Wednesdays, noon to 4pm and Saturdays, 10am to 2pm)
  •  June 1-3: Rittenhouse Square Fine Art Show, Philadelphia, PA
  • July 7-8: Wickford Fine Art Festival, Wickford, RI
Press   
Check out the March/April issues of Fine Art Connoisseur and Art of the West Magazines. My work is published in both. Cool.

Thank you for reading!
Jill Banks
Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Jill-Banks-Studio-278493468836508/ (Please like that page if you like it...)
Read the Article: Southwest Art Artist to Watch,  July 2017
Here's a link to the PDF of the wonderful Artist to Watch article written by Kim Agricola. 
 

No comments: