Thursday, September 28, 2017

"Parade Day" Times Two and a Conversation

"Parade Day II," oil, 24"h x 30"w, ©2017 Jill Banks

While participating in Telluride Plein Air this summer, I painted a 10" x 8" canvas of this scene ... watching the parade watchers from my spot in the park.  Just a little while later that day, the first version of "Parade Day" was purchased by the parents of the little girl who is the star of this piece. 

I rarely paint something again ...  as in, almost never. I'm happy that my pieces find new homes and am attached to that period of creating vs. the painting. But, maybe that changes if there wasn't enough time to enjoy the results. Creating "Parade Day II" gave me a chance to relish the moment again. The little girl reminds me ... a LOT ... of granddaughter Emma who we happen to be babysitting for a few days. It was fun.

This larger version was painted primarily from my memory of that day and a photo of that original piece. (Despite the lightning quick sale, I did manage to photograph it.) It will be in my booth at McLean Artfest on October 1, 10am to 5pm in McLean, VA.  Please come take a look.

A Conversation

At Armonk, crowds are steady but on the sparser side for the shows I participate in. That means conversations can be a little longer. One visitor came and enjoyed looking at my work and told me he wanted to tell me something when I was finished talking to another guest. He appreciated that I painted what I was truly interested in. My subjects are varied ... for sure. But he said many artists paint what they feel capable of creating. I just jump in ... head? Paintbrush? first.

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you soon!
Jill Banks

Blog: For my latest news and works, visit or subscribe to my blog Life as an Artist at jillbanks.blogspot.com
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/Jill-Banks-Studio-278493468836508/ (Please like that page if you like it...)

Events
"Close Encounters" Solo Show at the Ellis-Nicholson Gallery in Charleston SC September 1-30. View the paintings that are part of my "Close Encounters" exhibit at Ellis-Nicholson in Charleston, SC this September online here.
"Farm to Table" Solo Show at Katie's Coffee in the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA October 3-31. More info to come
Long Beach Island Plein Air Plus, Long Beach Island NJ Exhibit September 8-October 27
MPA McLean Artfest, McLean VA, October 1
  
Sedona Plein Air Festival, Sedona AZ, October 14-21
Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Great Falls VA (Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls -- I'll be there Sunday only.) October 20-22
Fall Classes and Workshop ... Register Now

Painting the Portrait -- Three-Day Workshop -- October 27-29, 2017.
Class size is limited. The class and workshop are taught through the Arts of Great Falls School at 756-C Walker Road, Great Falls VA.
Get more info on my Classes page.  
I was chosen as one of the Top 9 Painting and Drawing Teachers in the Washington DC area by Expertise.com. (Pretty cool endorsement.)
https://www.expertise.com/dc/washington/painting-and-drawing-classes


Read the Article: Southwest Art Artist to Watch,  July 2017
Here's a link to the PDF of the wonderful Artist to Watch article written by Kim Agricola.

No comments: