Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Italian Men" in the Art League International Landscape Show


"Italian Men" has a prime spot in the Art League gallery for August's Landscape Show. From my quick look as the team was hanging the show, it looks like a fantastic exhibit. Art buyers -- take a look! Walt Bartman, Director and Founder of the Yellow Barn in Glen Echo Park, MD, juried the show. Walt was part of the three juror team who selected me for one of the 10 solo show shots awarded in 2008 at the Art League. "Italian Men" was in my January "Place Settings" show -- and the painting has been featured in Elan Magazine, the Washington Post, Virginia Living Magazine, and many more. Since the painting wasn't part of the original grouping shown to the solo show jurors and Walt clearly liked my figurative work based on comments I received after the jurying process, I guessed that he would enjoy seeing this piece. Apparently, he did.

"Italian Men" is one of my all-time favorites. It definitely represents a "leap" for me in the handling of space and the figures... but it's also just a compelling and thoroughly enjoyable painting.

My web site's clearly out of date. I promise I'll fix it soon -- but you can see more of these restaurant-centered figurative paintings if you click on preview the show on my home page. Of course the show's over and many of the paintings are residing in new homes, but you'll get the idea of where my heart is in these images. Some, like "Italian Men" are available.

"Italian Men," oil on board, 24"h x 18"w, copyright Jill Banks 2007.

No comments: