Thursday, September 17, 2015

"Seaside Sunset" is a Rock Star

"Seaside Sunset," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©2015 Jill Banks (Carmel, California)
I juggle a lot. As in, all the time.

One of those tricks was figuring out a few pieces to submit to a Great Falls Studios juried show "Rock Stars" that was coinciding with my solo exhibit "Along the Way" and participating in the King Street Art Festival coming up this weekend (September 19 & 20 in Old Town Alexandria, VA where you can find me in Booth #81 -- Saturday, 10am to 7pm and Sunday, 10am to 5pm).

My submissions included "Seaside Sunset" -- a painting of Carmel, California. The reception for the Great Falls Studios exhibit was today (Thursday, September 17) from 4 to 6pm. I taught my plein air Landscape painting class from 10am to 2pm ... plus. Arrived at my studio around 3pm. Multiple visitors, conversations, and a change of clothes later and I headed to the reception. It's at the US Geological Survey building. Need photo ID to enter. Found out my purse was about the only thing not in my car. The guard followed the rules. I had to head home, get my ID, head back to catch the end of the judge's comments and the end of the reception.

"Seaside Sunset" was awarded the Judge's Commendation for Painting by Tricia Ratliff.  From what I gather as a latecomer to the scene -- awards included Best in Show, 2nd, 3rd and a Judge's Commendation for Painting, Photography and 3D -- plus one award for Best Interpretation of the Theme "Rock Stars." Atelier studiomates Roberta Beasley was awarded 3rd Place, Jennifer Duncan was awarded 2nd Place and I received the commendation for painting. We were well represented.

The full awards list and works selected is:
Best of Show - "Rocks of Halong Bay" photograph by Robert Schroeder

Second Place - "Misty Cairns"  painting by Jennifer Duncan

Third Place - "Majestic Mountains Triptych" painting by Roberta Beasley

Best Interpretation of Theme - "Juniper Pine and Milky Way" photograph by Robin Kent

Judge's Commendation for Painting - "Seaside Sunset" painting by Jill Banks

Judge's Commendation for Photography - "Great Falls Long Exposure No. 1" photograph by Dean Souleles

Judge's Commendation for Three Dimensional - "Uluru ; Star of the Outback" fiber art by Dorry Emmer
 
Congratulations to all the accepted exhibitors and award winners.

I talked to both of the co-jurors (Tricia Ratliff, painter and Carla Steckley, photographer). It's an honor to be chosen to select the top works -- and if you're a decent human being who cares about art and artists -- it's a huge responsibility and challenge. They both clearly took the job seriously, emphasized the subjectivity of their choices. Another judge would pick a different slate, hang a different show, select other pieces.

Tomorrow (Friday, September 18) ... some of my pieces from the "Along the Way" Solo Show will make their way toward Old Town Alexandria for the Alexandria King Street Festival this weekend. I think you'll love what's in my booth there this weekend. Visit me at Booth #81 near the intersection of King Street and Pitt Street (on the CVS vs. La Madeleine side). Bring/tell friends. I promise a warm, happy welcome. I.E., I'd love to see you!!!

Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com


September 1-30: "Along the Way" Solo Show, Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. Reception: Saturday, September 12, 6:30 to 8:30pm at the Great Falls Library AND the Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA
September 19-20: Alexandria King Street Festival, Old Town Alexandria, VA
October 4:  McLean MPA Artfest, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA
October 16-18:  Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, (I'll be at the Artists' Atelier, 756 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066). Self-guided tour of the home or group studios of 50-60 Great Falls artists.
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show & Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: