Thursday, May 17, 2012

Goat Day at Wayne Plein Air

"Here's Looking At You, Kid II," oil, 14"h x 11"w, copyright Jill Banks 2012
Today, the 30+ juried artists of Wayne Plein Air turned in our first three painting days' worth of work.  Receiving was from 7 to 9pm. We got there at 7 and the first of my five paintings to be checked in was #57 ... indicating there were plenty of early birds with plenty of work each.

I had a whole lot of fun this morning, in the company of Belle, the goat. I returned to the farm where the kickoff/pig roast/pot luck party was hosted ... just to paint Belle. She' a beauty ... and apparently, a hungry one. I had to hold on to ... or more, accurately, retrieve a lot of my painting gear and accessories. Belle went after my name tag, the plastic sleeved sign that identified me as a Wayne Plein Air painter, and a trash bag. All had to be tug-a-warred out of her mouth's grasp.

"Goatyard," oil, 11"h x 14"w, copyright Jill Banks 2012
Standing near her piece of land, I created two paintings. One a close-up when she happened to be visiting (hunting for more goodies) and then a more distant view ... munching on grass in the pen. I painted what I could see. Waited patiently for a view more like the ones on my canvas. Was rewarded often. Loved every minute painting Belle.

Oh, and lots of other potential paintings beckoned on this farm. It was very, very, very hard to head away.

But now, paintings of Belle, and three others are waiting to be hung at the Wayne Art Center. Tomorrow holds another painting day ... maybe in Philadelphia. Saturday morning is our last day of the competition ... with the morning spent in downtown Wayne. I know what I want to paint. That's what ... one-half of the battle. Not really. But, it's a start.

Goat Inspiration
Exhibits and Events

May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Painting on site: Wednesday, May 9, 1-4pm and Wednesday, May 23, 1-4pm.  Check back here before coming in case times change or dates/times are added. Thanks! Preview the exhibit here.
 
May 15-19, Wayne Plein Air Festival 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA. Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center. 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: