Saturday, July 11, 2009

Two Alla Prima Portraits: Lots of Michelles



Thanks to all who came out for my Portrait Painting Demonstration and to see my exhibit at the Great Falls Library (9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA). While the exhibit runs through August 31, today's demo and next Saturday's (July 18, 3-6pm) reception are the two main events. If you couldn't make it today, I hope you can stop in next week.

My model is Michelle Anonick, my son Sam's beautiful and very nice girlfriend. She did great.


Last night, she sat for me for an hour and a half so I could practice ... thus, "Michelle I". Today, I created "Michelle II" in my library public demo in a three-hour painting session. The light was different, and angle slightly changed. I'm not sure which one is more "her" but I suspect that today's version is.

Today was definitely a party. I turned my camera over to fellow artist friend Francie Vechhi to catch shots of the action ... and there are so many fun and interesting moments. Since my back was to the "audience" for the majority of the time, it was great to see the behind-the-scenes goings-on. I didn't include a bunch here ... maybe later. Many of the attendees were students, who have a blast together (and I with them). Actually, I've found that artists just know how to enjoy each others' company.

Thanks Dad for all your hard work. (Mom, too!) My Dad catered the snacks, and designed two beautiful flower arrangements. Definitely a very classy exhibit.

Above left: "Michelle I", 24"h x 18"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009
Lower right: "Michelle II", 20"h x 16"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: