Sunday, January 26, 2014

Seaside Break

"Seaside," oil, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
As the snow fell, Randy and I headed toward Hilton Head Island last week ... driving our way out of the white stuff. In addition to sneaking in a nice, short visit with my Mom and Dad, I had hopes of being able to get some plein air painting in that would have been awfully difficult at home.  Although we escaped the snow, it was still plenty cold in South Carolina. I did manage to fit in one quick painting in, the scene from the patio outside the condo.

Plus, see a few dolphins swimming in the sea.

An 18th Century Soldier Saves the Day
My scheduled model for today's portrait class woke up sick ... leaving me scrambling for a replacement with little time to spare.

At 11:10 (for my 1:30 class), I got a yes from Julie Casso, the school director ... who said she would ONLY do this for me. Then came a string of texts offering her husband as a model instead. And that he could dress as an 18th Century gentleman or soldier.

How do you think that sounded?

Portrait Class Today: 18th Century Uniformed Soldier, Modern Lights
I love it when students walk in, see the model and their eyes become as big as saucers. That summed up their entrances today.

Mark was a fantastic model who brought along props, history lessons and his own chair and table to fit the period.  What a treat!

He was also able, miraculously, to get right back into the pose perfectly after each break. Way to go!

Workshop in Italy This August
Come paint with me this August in the Italian wine country.  Details coming very soon on this trip that I'm thrilled about. Hope you will be, too!

Price Increases on February 1
February 1, prices on all my pieces are heading up. Take a look at the website and if one of those works is on your list ... consider purchasing it at pre-February 1 prices. More specifics coming up here and on my site.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com

Events
January 10-28: Great Falls School of Art Student Exhibition, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm.

February: Flowers and Chocolates, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. One of our best exhibits of the year. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm. Receptions, events to be announced

February: Jill Banks Solo Exhibit at Katie's Coffee in the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA. I'll be there painting at least one day during the month. See my web site (or the blog) for updates.

More to come.




No comments: