Friday, May 17, 2013

Sweet Afternoon Painting Prince Street

"Afternoon on Prince Street," oil, 20"h x 16"w, copyright Jill Banks 2013
It was a gorgeous afternoon today. Sun shining. Not too hot. Just right.

With a few pit stops on the way, I made my way down to Old Town Alexandria (Virginia) to see the May Show at the Art League Gallery, pick up my painting that didn't get juried in ("Beach Journal" did -- and only one can) and paint somewhere around those pretty streets.

When figuring out what to paint and getting out my gear, first I tried setting up on the sidewalk right next to the car -- but my subjects -- two men chatting, decided to leave.  Then, I picked this spot, right under the liftgate of my Honda pilot -- giving me a fairly unobstructed view down the street. I could use the back bed of the car as a table, with some of my gear, water, stuff.

Such a great day.

Some very nice, and complimentary visitors stopped by to check out the work. My most enthusiastic visitor stopped by, then went into the Gem Store behind me -- telling me the guy in there was most impressed as well.

It was time to leave when the car depicted in the left front of the painting needed to leave for home.  My easel was in danger, the light had faded ... time to go.

See more of my urban street scenes in the Places collection of my web site: www.JillBanks.com (click on Works).

In case you're around the DC area tomorrow (Saturday, May 18), I'll be holding the Artists' Atelier -- the studio and gallery space I share with 12 other other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA) open from noon to 4pm.  Stop by if you can.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


Events


Women Painters of the Southeast Juried Members Exhibit and Sale
Imagine Gallery, 230 Franklin Road, Franklin, TN 37064
"Sunflowers in the Studio II" juried into the exhibit that runs April 19 to May 20.

"New Works" Exhibit: the Artists' Atelier Gallery, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm through May 31. On view in the gallery: "Ballerinas I," "Ballerinas II" and "Red Pillow." 

Solo Show at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea
6839 Redmond Drive, McLean, VA 22101
(703) 821-9501
Exhibit of six paintings including "Two Kittens," "Traffic Patterns," "Primary Colors," "Spanish Steps," "Second & Pine Streets," and "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange." Through June 30.

No comments: