Friday, May 27, 2011

"Rainy Early Evening in London" Painting in Progress

"Rainy Early Evening in London" work in progress, 18"h x 24"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2011
In April, Randy and I spent about two weeks in London ... with just two days with a little rain. On the second to last night, we ate out under the awning at Covent Gardens with this brief shower in the early evening. I loved the red reflections and the couple under the umbrella on the left. Perfect light and night.

I was having some difficulty painting today. Actually started working on another piece that was started in plein air, but couldn't make myself happy with it. Switched gears and started this one. This start was done primarily with a palette knife -- concentrating on large shapes and simplification. There's already a LOT of paint on there. Today was the day to make a mess and I was wearing a good amount of reds, bluish grays and white. Quite patriotic.

Today was also the first day in a while that I wasn't running at top speed to try to get "too much" accomplished. That was very nice, for a change.

Today is also the birthday of my top artist agent -- my mom. Happy Birthday, Mom!

My 100 Faces in 100 Days exhibit at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA is about to close. Tomorrow, Saturday, May 28 would be a good day to see it as the library will be closed Sunday and Monday. I hope you have a chance to take a look.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: