Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Painting Magnolia Leaves, Seeds and Gourds


For today's Still Life class today, one of my students brought in these beautiful magnolia leaves and seed pods ... and gourds ...  and tomatoes to paint and to share. It wasn't until the class had ended that this setup sucked me in ... and made me pull out my paints. (The class keeps me hopping from beginning to end, anyway.)

This is definitely a complicated scene to paint. The work in progress, today's start, probably doesn't look all that exciting to you, but I'm liking it. What I'm drawn to in this setup is its three-dimensionality. It is filled with movement and spikes in height, roundness and striking shadows, plus beautifully open spaces of abstract shapes. So that's what I have to get at. I'm not sure how the objects will change each day. Pretty sure the tomato doesn't have long so I tried to develop it a bit more. Lots and lots to do, plus this canvas is pretty large -- 30"h x 24"w -- so I'll have to "paint like the wind."

The McLean Artfest this weekend was really nice. Lots of very enthusiastic visitors who stayed, chatted, worked on figuring out what to buy, oohed and aahed, etc. Two drawings (real favorites) "View from the Pantheon Steps" and "Barrel" plus "Stacked," a brand new donut painting sold, plus I believe more will sell during Studio Tour (October 16&17) as a result of this weekend's show. Get more info on the Great Falls Annual Studios Tour at www.GreatFallsStudios.com. I'll be at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA for this terrific self-guided, free, art tour event.

"Magnolia Leaves and Gourds" work in progress day one, 30"h x 24"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.
"Stacked," 10"h x 8"w, oil, copyright Jill Banks 2010, SOLD.



Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: