Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Wonderful Weekend


Despite the ridiculously horrible weather, this past weekend's Great Falls Annual Art Studio Tour (put on by Great Falls Studios, a consortium of over 85 artists who live or work in Great Falls) was a roaring success. We (my studiomates and I at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 15 other artists in Great Falls, VA) had a continuous crowd of regulars, first-time studio-goers, friends and family -- all so excited to be there. They came in out of the rain to see a warm, bustling, soaring-ceilinged space jam-packed with colorful, beautiful art. We worked so hard at setting it up ... and it showed.

The publicity for this event was phenomenal. Coverage in the Washington Post and Connection Newspapers plus having the 44 participating artists promoting the event ... really drove traffic.

If you missed it, don't next year. It's always bigger and better.

I enjoyed talking to other artists looking for inspiration, non-artists who thought that only people with natural talent can create art (wrong), people interested in classes (I teach), and lots of art enthusiasts of all ages.


I sold four paintings to four people with great taste.

My friends (paintings) that are now being enjoyed by others are:
"Rainy Day Market" - my postcard image from my "On the Bright Side" exhibit this summer at the Great Falls Library. Not only was this my husband's favorite painting (although he's glad I sold it), it also clearly was a bunch of other folks' favorite. I think that until someone else buys something you love, you can imagine owning it yourself. There's hope. I know that the few days this painting hung in my house, it lifted my spirits. It's extraordinary.
"Male Torso" - not an exciting title, but an absolutely beautiful painting. Also one of my favorites.
"The Celebration" - purchased for the glow of the lights and settings, and mystery of the scene.
"Four Square Donuts" - one of my miniatures. Dunkin' Donuts selections.


These sales in combination with sales of other favorites at MPA Artfest two weeks ago are cause for a few heart twangs, happiness that these collectors appreciate what I've painted, and renewed pressure to create new favorites. What a leap of faith that is.

I've pictured my friends here. Check out this blog and my web site to see if you want to own any of my other ones.

Paintings copyright Jill Banks 2008, 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Congratulations on a successful event and all the sales!

Our weather has been nasty, hasn't it? I hope we're in for an improvement. My husband and I went to Alexandria yesterday late enough in the day to see, was it..., sunlight???